During the first year of registration and every 5th year thereafter, Practicing Social Workers must participate in a total of 8 hours of workshops approved by MCSW that include each of the following topics:
- MCSW Code of Ethics & Standards of Practice
- Social Work with Indigenous Peoples
For example, a member might complete 5 hours of learning activities on the topic of Social Work with Indigenous Peoples and 3 hours of learning activities on the topic of the MCSW Code of Ethics & Standards of Practice. The 8-hours of workshops may be included as part of the overall 75-hour/3-year requirement.
(a) Ethics e-Learning
*Effective April 1, 2017, all new Practicing Social Workers are required to complete the MCSW Ethics e-Learning within the first year of registration.
This online workshop includes 12 modules specifically related to the MCSW Code of Ethics & Standards of Practice. Review of both the MCSW Code of Ethics and Standards of Practice is required prior to beginning the Ethics e-Learning workshop.
The review and the e-Learning will take approximately 2-4 hours to complete and is eligible for 4 hours of CCP activities.
To register for the MCSW Ethics and Standards e-Learning workshop, members can click here or use the Ethics e-Learning button on the MCSW home page and follow these steps:
- Create a new account
An e-Learning account is different from a member’s online MCSW member profile. Members must create a new username and password.
- Confirm account by email
An account confirmation email will be sent to the registered email address from email@example.com. Check junk or spam folders if not found in inbox. Contact the College at 204-888-9477 if needed.
- Once the e-Learning account is confirmed, registrants can login
- Read through the e-Learning outline and submit workshop fee ($25.00)
- Begin the e-Learning workshop
Once registered, members can login from the MCSW website anywhere the internet is available and complete the e-Learning modules as time permits. E-Learning progress will be saved as members work through the modules.
A Certificate of Completion will be emailed to members following completion of all modules of the Ethics e-Learning. Members should add the Certificate to their CCP Portfolio and retain for 5 years in the event of an audit. Members are required to enter these hours in their CCP log located in their Member Portal.
(b) Guidelines for Content Specific Workshops
To assist members to fulfill the requirements of the Continuing Competence Program, the College has developed a list of Approved Continuing Competence Providers who may offer workshops in the Content-Specific areas. The list also includes Approved Workshops offered by various organizations.
QUESTIONS TO ASK WHEN CONSIDERING CONTENT-SPECIFIC WORKSHOP OPTIONS:
Is The Workshop/Learning Activity/Event “On Topic”?
Is workshop(s) offered by an MCSW Approved Continuing Competence Provider in one of the two Content-Specific topics?
- Social Work Code of Ethics & Standards of Practice
- Social Work with Indigenous Peoples
Is The Workshop/Learning Activity/Event Interactive?
Workshops are defined as continuing competence activities that include an interactive component. Examples include in-person workshops, live webinars that include interaction with presenters (audio or written), on-line training that includes input from participant (i.e. quizzes, tests, practice scenarios) and events with interaction with facilitators. Webcast hours are not eligible for submission in this category.
If “On Topic” And Interactive
If the workshop is an “on topic” and interactive learning activity provided by an Approved Workshop Provider, members must complete a Content Specific Workshop Evaluation Form and retain it in their CCP portfolio.
Are you aware of workshops not listed?
Social Workers are encouraged to contact MCSW to request approval of workshops related to Social Work Code of Ethics & Standards of Practice and/or Social Work with Indigenous Peoples. Please submit this form to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Program providers not yet on the Approved Continuing Competence Providers list who are interested in delivering in-person or on-line workshops with respect to the MCSW Code of Ethics & Standards of Practice or Social Work with Indigenous Peoples, are encouraged to review the Approved Content-Specific Providers Policy and complete an application.
- Is your employer listed as an Approved Workshop Provider (Category A on the Approved Workshops/Providers List)?
- If yes, determine whether your employer is offering any interactive content-specific workshops.
- Is there an accredited University or College near you?
- If yes, check related websites to determine whether the University or College is offering relevant interactive content-specific workshops. If you are a student enrolled in an accredited or approved College or University program and you are taking courses that include learning about the MCSW Code of Ethics & Standards of Practice and/or Social Work with Indigenous Peoples, the lecture hours provided on these topics are eligible.
- Are any of the listed provincial or national organizations holding relevant interactive learning activities/events?
- Check the Approved Workshop/Providers list for information. Note that lectures and tours at museums are eligible.
- How do I learn about upcoming free MCSW and/or CASW webinars?
- MCSW advertises webinars delivered in partnership with CASW on the MCSW website and circulates this information through member e-bulletins. You can also access a complete list of webinars offered by CASW in partnership with other provinces and territories on the CASW website.
- Are there other online interactive learning options related to Social Work with Indigenous Peoples?
- The Indigenous Cultural Safety Collaborative Learning Series is a free resource (listed under Heath Authorities and Affiliated Agencies on the Providers list) and you can register to receive notifications of upcoming webinars. CancerCare Ontario offers a free Indigenous Relationship and Cultural Safety Courses. Indigenous Awareness Canada also offers online training options.