The College strives to return messages within 24 hours, however due to the high volume of calls and emails being received response times can take up to three business days. Please only leave one message or email and a representative from the College will be in touch.
Q. How can I expedite my application?
A. Potential applicants can expedite their applications by ordering supporting documents (see STEP 2) prior to applying for registration. By having the supporting documentation in your possession when you apply you will decrease the time it takes to complete your application for registration.
*Please do not submit documents prior to submitting your application.
Q. I am a social work student who will be graduating from an accredited or approved social work program. When should I apply for registration?
A. It is prudent for students to wait until they have completed all the requirements to graduate before they apply for registration with the College. There is no benefit to applying early, as applications can not be approved until a letter of eligibility to graduate, or a transcript showing degree awarded is submitted to the College (both of which requires you to have completed all requirements to graduate).
Letters of eligibility to graduate are only available from the registrars’ office in the short time between when your final marks are posted and when degrees are conferred. There are NO EXCEPTIONS to these documents, and both this letter and your transcript must be submitted to MCSW directly from the registrar’s office of the academic institution. If your transcript is available, letters will not be accepted in its place.
If you wish to expedite your application please order your supporting documentation (see STEP 2) prior to applying for registration (approximately 6 weeks prior should be sufficient). Please do not submit supporting documentation prior to applying for registration.
Q. I currently reside outside of Canada, and would be considered an international applicant, but am planning to move to Manitoba. Can I become registered prior to my arrival?
A. To be eligible to apply for registration with MCSW, you must have the following;
- a work permit, permanent residency or Canadian citizenship card in your possession.
- a completed CASW Educational Assessment or have graduated from an accredited CSWE academic institution (US residents).
Q. How do I submit my supporting documents to the College?
A. Please refer to STEP 2 of the applicant step description for your route of entry. There are no exceptions made to the submission instructions. Please do not submit your supporting documentation prior to applying.
Q. Where do I send my documents that can be submitted electronically?
A. Please send to email@example.com.
Q. How do I get the original documents to the College?
A. Many applicants mail their original documents to the office. You can also drop off in person or use the drop slot at 101-2033 Portage Avenue during office hours 8:30am – noon & 1pm to 4pm if that is convenient for you.
Your original transcript can be mailed directly from the academic institution to the College at your request. This is the preferred way for the College to receive your transcript. If the registrar’s office is able to email transcripts please have them email directly to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Q. Can I get the original documents back?
A. Yes. Please enclose a note with your documents indicating where you would like them returned.
Q. How do I know if the College has received the documents I have sent in?
A. Log into your Applicant Portal to review the list of submitted and outstanding documentation. Please give College staff 10 business days to log submitted documentation before contacting the College to follow up.
Q. Once all documents are received how long does it take to find out the decision of the College?
A. The review process takes between 4 – 6 weeks. You will receive an email from the College with your notice of decision and the steps to activate your registration if applicable.
Q. What could slow down the application process?
A. Issues that slow down the application process:
- Incomplete applications. Applications are not complete until the $100 fee has been paid and all documents have been submitted.
- Receiving documents electronically when the original document is required (refer to STEP 2 on how to submit documents).
- Receiving any/all transcripts or letters of eligibility to graduate from the applicant and not directly from the academic institution(s) Registrars office.
- Receiving transcripts that do not indicate “degree awarded” (i.e., ordering a transcript before the degree is conferred).
- Receiving a letter of eligibility to graduate when the transcript is available.
- Providing a professional reference that does not follow the reference requirements as listed in STEP 2.
- When applicable (SE applicants), not receiving the academic institution’s official course syllabi for courses completed and taken in the year indicated on the corresponding transcript.
- Failure to provide additional documents as requested by the College.
- Failure to submit all required documents within the 6 month timeline.
Q. What are the possible outcomes for an application?
A. Upon review of your application for registration, the Registrar may:
- determine that your application has met all the criteria for registration and issue a certificate of registration.
- issue a certificate of registration subject to terms, conditions or limitations.
- determine that your application has not met the criteria for registration and not approve your application.