You may apply for registration under this category if you have a Bachelor of Social Work degree (BSW) or a Master of Social Work degree (MSW) from:
- a Social Work education program accredited by the Canadian Association for Social Work Education
- a Social Work education program accredited by the Council on Social Work Education
- a Social Work education program approved by MCSW: Booth University College
- An international Social Work degree that has been assessed by the Canadian Association of Social Workers (CASW) as equivalent.
*Please contact the College with any questions about alternative documentation.
To start the application process, please follow the step-by-step instructions below. The final page of the Online Application Form is the non-refundable application fee payment of $100.00. You must pay online by Visa, MasterCard or Visa/Debit.
The Online Application Form and all required documentation must be submitted to complete your application package and begin the evaluation process. If additional information is required, you will be contacted by the College Office.
The College encourages applicants to use the Applicant Portal to review the progress of document submission. Once all documents have been received, the application evaluation process takes 4 to 6 weeks.
Notification of approved applications for registration will be sent by email to the applicant. Payment of the registration fee is required within 30 days of the approval date. Please CLICK HERE for fee information.
Incomplete applications will expire 6 months from the date the Online Application Form was submitted.
To begin your application click below:
*Professional Liability Insurance is required for members in the Practicing category. If you do not hold professional liability insurance, you will have 14 days to obtain it after your application is approved. For more information CLICK HERE.
Submit the following documentation to the College Office. Please note documents may be submitted together or as they become available.
Please note that the logging of submitted documents into the applicant portal can take up to 10 business days.
- Full legal name must be used. Copy of Government-issued photo ID – driver’s license or passport (or other photo ID which includes birth date – upload to Applicant Portal or email to email@example.com)
- Please submit a copy of proof of name change (if name on your transcript is different from the name on your application) to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Official sealed Transcript showing highest Social Work degree (sent directly from the institution’s registrars’ office to MCSW). *Note: Applicants previously registered with MCSW or actively registered with a social work regulatory body in another jurisdiction are not required to submit a duplicate transcript
- Are you a new graduate awaiting convocation? In the short time between completing all requirements to graduate and degree conferral applicants can submit 1) Eligibility to Graduate Declaration Form accompanied by 2) confirmation of eligibility to graduate letter from the registrar’s office of an accredited or approved social work program prior to convocation;
- The letter must indicate that the applicant has completed all requirements and is eligible to receive social work degree within 6 months
- The letter must be sent to the College directly from the registrar’s office in a sealed and stamped envelope
- The official transcript must be submitted to the College immediately following date degree is conferred and no later than 6 months from the date of registration approval
- U of M Order Form; Booth Order Form
- Original Record Checks – must be mailed to the College or dropped off in person. If you would like the originals returned, please include a note. (If original Self-Checks conducted within the last 6 months are on file with your employer, please contact MCSW at 204-888-9477)
- Criminal Record Check including Vulnerable Sector Search (completed within previous 6 months of application). Criminal record checks from the RCMP or local Police Stations outside of Winnipeg are also accepted if they include the Vulnerable Sector Search. Note: Records Checks from myBackCheck.com and Commissionaires are NOT accepted (they do not perform vulnerable sector checks). Vulnerable Sector Searches reveal pardons for sexual offences. Applicants who currently reside or have resided outside of Canada must provide criminal record/registry checks based on a nationwide search from the appropriate law enforcement agency in that country, if an equivalent check is available. Please contact the College for more information.
- Manitoba Child Abuse Registry Self-Check (completed within previous 6 months of application)
- Manitoba Adult Abuse Registry Self-Check (completed within previous 6 months of application)
- 1 Professional Reference, please click here for Reference Requirements (name and contact information to be provided on application, a form will be sent directly to the reference by email from the College office). It is the applicant’s responsibility to check in with their reference to confirm the reference document has been completed and returned to the College within the 6 month application timeframe.
- Verification of Registration and Licensure for Social Work Regulators (for applicants currently or previously registered in another province or country)
- Verification of Registration and Licensure for Other Regulators (for applicants currently or previously registered in another profession)
- Verification of Legal Entitlement to Work in Canada required for applicants born outside of Canada
- Canadian Citizenship card, Permanent Resident (of Canada) card, Work (in Canada) Permit
Step 3 (if applicable)
As of January 1, 2021 all applicants who have graduated from an approved social work education program are required to complete the ASWB examination to be eligible for registration with MCSW.
Review examination process here.