Applicants with an International Social Work Degree
International applicants must have two items completed before they can apply for registration:
1) Proof of entitlement to work in Canada.
Prior to applying for registration with the Manitoba College of Social Workers, applicants must ensure that that are legally entitled to work in Canada in accordance with paragraph 4(2)(b) of the Social Work Profession Regulation. To be legally entitled to work in Canada, applicants must have one of the documents listed below in their possession:
- be a Canadian Citizen
- be a Permanent resident of Canada, or
- hold a current and valid work permit issued by Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada
Note that social work is considered a health service field occupation. Applicants whose work permits include the following condition are not eligible for registration with the College: “Not authorized to work in childcare, primary/secondary school teaching, health service field occupations.”
2) Social work educational assessment by the Canadian Association of Social Workers (CASW).
Graduates who hold a university degree in Social Work outside of Canada or the United States require an evaluation of their education credentials to ensure equivalency to a Canadian social work degree. An evaluation of your international social work education credentials must be completed by the Canadian Association of Social Workers (CASW) prior to application to the Manitoba College of Social Workers. CLICK HERE for more information on the CASW credentials assessment service.
- If your educational credentials are assessed as equivalent to a Canadian social work degree, you have the option to apply as “An Applicant With a Social Work Degree”
- If your educational credentials are not assessed as equivalent to a Canadian social work degree, you have the option to apply as “An Applicant Without a Social Work Degree – Substantial Equivalency”
Document Checklist – Applicants with International Education assessed as equivalent to a Canadian social work degree
Document Checklist – Applicants with International Education not assessed as equivalent to a Canadian social work degree
Please contact the College with any questions about alternative documentation.
Financial Supports for Internationally Educated Applicants
What is Social Work in Manitoba & Canada?
Before You Move to Manitoba
When You Move to Manitoba
Alternative Jobs if Your Application is Not Approved
Right to Appeal
If your application for registration is not approved, or it is approved with one or more conditions, you have the right to appeal the Registrar’s decision.