Applicants with an International Social Work Degree

Eligibility Requirements

International applicants must have two items completed before they can apply for registration:

1) Proof of entitlement to work in Canada.

Prior to applying for registration with the Manitoba College of Social Workers, applicants must ensure that that are legally entitled to work in Canada in accordance with paragraph 4(2)(b) of the Social Work Profession Regulation.  To be legally entitled to work in Canada, applicants must have one of the documents listed below in their possession:

  • be a Canadian Citizen
  • be a Permanent resident of Canada, or
  • hold a current and valid work permit issued by Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada

Note that social work is considered a health service field occupation. Applicants whose work permits include the following condition are not eligible for registration with the College: “Not authorized to work in childcare, primary/secondary school teaching, health service field occupations.”

2) Social work educational assessment by the Canadian Association of Social Workers (CASW).

Graduates who hold a university degree in Social Work outside of Canada or the United States require an evaluation of their education credentials to ensure equivalency to a Canadian social work degree. An evaluation of your international social work education credentials must be completed by the Canadian Association of Social Workers (CASW) prior to application to the Manitoba College of Social Workers. CLICK HERE for more information on the CASW credentials assessment service.

Document Checklist – Applicants with International Education assessed as equivalent to a Canadian social work degree

Document Checklist – Applicants with International Education not assessed as equivalent to a Canadian social work degree

Please contact the College with any questions about alternative documentation.

Financial Supports for Internationally Educated Applicants

Manitoba My New Home: There are various financial support options available to internationally educated/trained professionals and tradespersons residing in Manitoba. Each has its own eligibility criteria.  Visit their website.

Manitoba Careers for Internationally Educated Professionals Program:  This program supports internationally educated professionals (IEPs) towards their goal of working in their professional fields in Manitoba. It provides non-repayable financial assistance to help IEPs with assessment and training costs while pursuing registration. To be eligible, individuals must have started the registration process with a Manitoba regulator, and be motivated and able to complete the process in a timely, efficient and continuous manner. For more information and to apply, visit their website.

Recognition Counts: This program provides supports to skilled immigrants wishing to work in their field of expertise or an alternative career in Manitoba. The program offers financial counselling, as well as the opportunity to apply for a loan of up to $30,000 with Assiniboine Credit Union to help with the cost of having qualifications recognized in Manitoba and obtaining related employment. To learn more, visit their website.

Manitoba Student Aid: This is a supplemental financial assistance program for Manitobans who do not have enough resources to pay for post-secondary education (university or college) on their own. This program provides various types of funding through the Manitoba Student Aid Program and the Canada Student Loans and Grants Programs. Funding includes repayable government student loans and non-repayable grants and/or bursaries. For more information, visit their website.

Steps to Registration

Language Proficiency

What is Social Work in Manitoba & Canada?

Before You Move to Manitoba

When You Move to Manitoba

Alternative Jobs if Your Application is Not Approved

Right to Appeal

If your application for registration is not approved, or it is approved with one or more conditions, you have the right to appeal the Registrar’s decision.