2021 Renewal Information Sheet

The Manitoba College of Social Workers (MCSW) registration period for Practicing and Non-Practicing members is from April 1 – March 31.  Renewals are open February 1 – March 1.  Members who renew between March 2 and March 31 are subject to an administrative late fee of $75.  Registrations are cancelled if full fees are not received by March 31.

All members engaged in the practice of social work as paid staff, unpaid staff, under contract, volunteer or in any other capacity (full-time, part-time, casual) must renew in the Practicing category.

Social Workers renewing in the Practicing category must have Professional Liability Insurance.

Social Workers wishing to transfer from the Practicing category to the Non-Practicing category must complete the Category Change Request form found in their Member Portal before renewal or as part of the renewal process and receive approval prior to transferring to the Non-Practicing category.

Certificates of Practice for the period of April 1 to March 31  will be available electronically on each practicing member’s MCSW Member Portal.  Certificates of Practice will no longer be mailed to members.

Fees & Payment Plan Option:

Annual registration fees are $360 for Practicing Social Workers, $180 for Non-Practicing Members and $180 for Electronic Social Work Practice Members.

Members may request a payment plan option of equal payments of $120 to be paid on January 1, February 1 and March 1. The deadline to submit the Payment Plan Request Form and post-dated cheques is December 18, 2020.

Due to the amount of time required to administrate a payment plant, the College has decided that 2021 is the last year the payment plan will be offered.  Full payment will be required for the 2022 renewal.

Continuing Competence Program & Renewal – Important Dates

You can find your initial registration date on your Certificate of Registration (8×11 Certificate).

If you registered with the College between April 1, 2020 and March 1, 2021 you are required to have completed your Self Assessment and Learning Plan by the deadline communicated to you in your CCP email when you activated your registration.  This is required to be completed (in your Member Portal) to facilitate your 2021 renewal with the College.

If you registered with the College between April 1, 2019 and March 31, 2020 you are required to log your initial 8 hours of content-specific hours at the 2021 renewal.

If you registered with the College prior to April 1, 2019 your next 8 hours of content-specific workshop hours are not due at this renewal.  To comply with the currency requirements of every 5 years, please wait to complete these hours.  Any hours that you have completed in this category can be coded as formal hours and will count towards your global 75 hours over three years requirement.

Renewal Requirement for 2021:


Attention Practicing Members with an initial registration date prior to April 1, 2016 (Certificate # 0000-3904).

In accordance with the Social Work Profession Regulation 12(2)(b), practicing members registered prior to April 1, 2016, which includes those with Registration/Practice Certificate numbers between 0000 and 3904, will be required to submit the following documents in order to renew their registration in 2021.  Please note that the College is obligated to implement this government-legislated requirement and is therefore not able to authorize exemptions.

1) Criminal Record Check with Vulnerable Sector Check*
2) Child Abuse Registry SELF Check and;
2) Adult Abuse Registry SELF Check

Records Check Renewal Policy

 Members can begin submitting documents now.

Document criteria include;
1) Documents must be dated within 12 months of submission date
2) The College is only permitted to accept SELF checks from the Abuse Registry office (agency or organization checks cannot be accepted)

Electronic copies will be accepted.  Upload your copies in your Member Portal.

If your employer has recent checks on file, please complete the Employer Confirmation of Checks Form to submit/verify these documents. Employers then can fax or scan/email this form to admin@mcsw.ca along with copies of your checks to the College.

Practicing members who require Record/Registry Check are encouraged to renew before March 1, 2021 to avoid late fees.  These members will have until March 31, 2021 to upload any outstanding Record/Registry Checks.

Non Practicing members are not required to submit Records/Registry Checks at renewal.  If your initial registration date is prior to April 1, 2016, these checks will be required when you move to the Practicing category.


On December 3, 2020 the MCSW Board of Directors revised the Records/Registry Check Renewal Policy to allow the Registrar to take into account the unforeseen consequences of unavailable/reduced RCMP services.  For members who cannot obtain a Criminal Record Check including the Vulnerable Sector Search (CRC-VSS) via their local RCMP office because of office closures/service interruptions, the College is temporarily accepting checks obtained from the Commissionaires Office that do not include the VSS.

It is important to note that CRC-VSS services have been interrupted intermittently during the pandemic.  Commissionaires criminal records checks will be accepted with verification of a member’s inability to obtain a CRC-VSS.  Verification may include correspondence with your RCMP office or a member’s written statement detailing attempts to obtain a CRC-VSS.

The Winnipeg Police Service in person and online ePIC system for obtaining CRC-VSS are open and available to members who reside within the City limits.

The Adult and Child Abuse Registry Check service continues to process online registry check applications.

Steps to Renew – print here

  1. Log into your Member Portal
  2. Submit your Record/Registry Checks (required for certificates between 0000-3904)
  3. Update your Continuing Competency Program Profile
  4. Complete the Renewal Form
  5. Complete payment online
  6. Confirm your completion by viewing your Certificate of Practice (with updated expiry date) and your receipt in Member Portal