Registration Categories

The Social Worker register contains three categories of Social Workers:

  • Practicing Social Workers: This category is appropriate for registrants who are currently functioning in a Social Work capacity and/or refer to themselves as “Social Workers” or “Registered Social Workers.”
  • Non-practicing Registrants: This category includes Social Workers on Parental Leaves, Leaves of Absence, retired Social Workers or those residing in another jurisdiction. Members in this category cannot refer to themselves either verbally or in writing as “Registered Social Workers”, “Social Workers” or use the designation “RSW”, but rather must use the term “non-practicing registrant” or “non-practicing social worker” to describe their status while in this category.
  • Temporary Social Workers: Temporary registration is available to those who are registered as a practicing Social Worker in another jurisdiction who wish to temporarily practice in Manitoba or with clients from Manitoba. Temporary registration is limited to a period not exceeding 90 days per registration year.

Use of Legal Name: Each member must use the legal name under which they are registered under the Act when the member represents that they are a member of the College and/or engages in the practice of social work.  The College may consider accommodations in exceptional circumstances, such as safety concerns, which are assessed on a case by case basis.

Routes of Entry

There are several routes of entry to become a Registered Social Worker in Manitoba, which include:

ACCREDITED: This route is appropriate for applicants who have graduated from a Canadian university Social Work degree program which has been accredited by the Canadian Association for Social Work Education (CASWE). If you have a Bachelor of Social Work degree, a Master of Social Work degree, or a Doctorate degree in Social Work from an accredited Canadian University, you will apply as an APPLICANT WITH A SOCIAL WORK DEGREE.

APPROVED: This route is appropriate for applicants who have graduated from a Manitoba-based Social Work education program that is not accredited by CASWE but is approved by the College Board. If you are a graduate from the Booth University College Social Work Program, you will apply as an APPLICANT WITH A SOCIAL WORK DEGREE.

Other applicants eligible for the Approved route of entry are graduates from a Social Work degree program accredited by the Council on Social Work Education (CSWE), the American Social Work accrediting body. If you have a Social Work degree from an accredited CSWE Program, you will apply as an APPLICANT WITH A SOCIAL WORK DEGREE.

GRANDPARENTED: The Manitoba College of Social Workers previously had a “grandparenting” process that recognized practitioners without formal social work education who were functioning as social workers as their principal occupation. The grandparenting route of entry was available to eligible applicants between April 1, 2015 to March 31, 2018 and is now closed.

SUBSTANTIAL EQUIVALENCY: This route of entry recognizes current practitioners without a social work degree who are able to provide evidence that they have functioned as a Social Worker safely, competently and ethically for at least 5600 hours in the previous 5 years and demonstrate that they have formal social work-related education.  Applicants assessed to have met the Practice Experience and Education criteria must then write an exam to demonstrate adequate theoretical social work knowledge.  If you meet the criteria for all steps in the application process you will apply as an APPLICANT WITHOUT A SOCIAL WORK DEGREE: SUBSTANTIAL EQUIVALENCY.

INTERNATIONAL: Applicants who have completed an international social work education program must complete the International Assessment of Credentials process through the Canadian Association of Social Workers (CASW) prior to applying for registration with the College. Following approval of credentials, you will apply as an APPLICANT WITH A SOCIAL WORK DEGREE.